Monday, April 25, 2011

Play: PSN still down....being rebuilt?

Didn't have a chance to check before leaving for work this morning, but I know as of yesterday PSN was still down.  This is going on four days now. The problem is that because everything is tied to being able to login to the network, I have been unable to use netflix streaming as well. (Some users are insisting they are able to still use netflix, but I have tried every trick they suggested and it is still a no-go for me).  This weekend I was out and about almost the entire time, so I didn't feel the pain much, however I am sure there is a mass army of PS3 users, with a fresh copy of the new Mortal Kombat that are pretty pissed they haven't been able to take it online and challenge other people. 

Sony is reporting the outage has been due to an external "attack" on their network, and that they are rebuilding the network to better protect itself from future attacks. From Yahoo newsire:

"Our efforts to resolve this matter involve rebuilding our system to further strengthen our network infrastructure," the company said in a statement. "Though this task is time-consuming, we decided it was worth the time necessary to provide the system with additional security."

Sony said it is "working around the clock to bring them both back online," but didn't say when they might return. Phone calls to the company's Tokyo headquarters went unanswered on Sunday.

"We thank you for your patience to date and ask for a little more while we move towards completion of this project," the statement said.
In the future it would be nice if there was a feature added that could let users continue to use other services such as netflix without having to login to their PS3 account.  It might help ease the pain a little bit.  Also I am not sure of the logistics or safety involved, but for games like Madden I wonder if it possible to login to EA Sports servers independently of PS3 network so you can play your EA games without PS3 network access.  All things to consider in the future......

No comments:

Stuff I geek out about!

My photo
Sacramento, California, United States
If I enjoy something, it could end up being talked about in this blog!