Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Watch: Rango; to see or not to see?

Let me start off bluntly, I am not an animated film guy.  I am not saying they are bad films.  Just that I am not personally into them.  I haven't seen Shrek, Finding Nemo, Cars, or many of the other modern classics people seem to swoon over.  A lot of my problems stem from the fact that the lead celebrities that are lending their voices often distract from the movie.  For example with Shrek.  I watched about five minutes, and all it felt like to me was a bunch of actors doing schtick behind some cartoon characters, and the schtick itself was not even new material. In many cases in these pixar movies at least 50% of the script feels lifted from either other cinema or from sketch comedy shows like SNL.  Now, I understand children won't know this, and I really have no objection to kids going to see these movies, but I would much prefer it to be a "Mother/Daughter date" type of afternoon, one in which I will be left at home to either watch some sports, video games, or navigate netflix instant for a movie.  Just to add some perspective, some of the animated movies I did end up enjoying were Monster House & Coraline.
 
With all that said, I must say I kind of enjoyed the trailer for Rango  Yes I know, it is being voiced by Johnny Depp, which is probably going to end up distracting me a bit from the movie itself, as I am sure the "schtick" will be on overdrive, but call me a hypocrite if you want, I just happened to find the trailer kind of funny.  I spoke to soon about a month or so ago when I told my wife, "wow that actually looks funny, I'll go with you if you want to go"  of course, that quote was locked away into the Vault of "will never be forgotten" and since I have slowly tried to backtrack on the statement, at least until I see how the movie is being reviewed from some places.  Right now it sits at 92% on Rotten Tomatoes,(keep in mind due to the accumulative score system they use, that number could very well be different by the time you read this blog entry)  albeit only about 13 reviews are in so far.  BadAss Digest didn't seem to think it had much to go for it besides being one of the absolute most gorgeous animation jobs they have seen on film.  So I will say reviews are mixed, but definitely trending towards being way more positive overall.   Here is the trailer:



So folks, what should I do? Bite the bullet this time, throw caution to the wind, and go see it?

No comments:

Stuff I geek out about!

My photo
Sacramento, California, United States
If I enjoy something, it could end up being talked about in this blog!