Friday, January 14, 2011

Play: EA Sports Active 2.0

I'm going to say up front, I am not a fan of "working out." There are a few activities and sports I enjoy playing casually which can be considered working out, but working out for the sake of working out has never been my thing.  Hell, even "it will make you healthier" has never been much of a motivator, although now as I enter my thirties that statement kind of raises my eyebrows a bit more.  I am not quite close to be old enough to where I can't do the things I enjoy, but have reached the age where my body reacts a bit differently when I am doing those same activities.  I have been in the market for a little while for an exercising game, that for one, I can do in the comfort of my own home, and two, at least makes it somewhat "fun" to do.

Previously I considered wii fit, which seemed like an acceptable option, but the main criticism of that I heard was it was more like an activity than a workout.  If I am going to invest money and time into a workout game, I at least want it to work me out and make me feel like I am not wasting my time aka FEEL THE BURN!

A couple nights ago, we decided on EA Sports Active 2.
 We bought also the fitness bundle which includes a jump rope, floor mat, extra hand weights and more resistant exercise stretch bands. The game includes heart monitors for your arms and leg.  I must say they work pretty well.  The motion detection is pretty spot on.  This really comes in to play when your legs start to get soar and you try and not bend or squat all the way down, the trainer will let you know you aren't doing it right.(fitness bundle pictured below)


After the initial setup where you enter in all your info you can either do a pre-selected workout or choose from a list of 75 workout options.  I went with a pre-selected, trainer-driver workout.  It will also setup a workout schedule for you and some goals to meet for the next six days.  I enrolled in the 9 week program.  So this is really the beginning for me.

I am two workouts in and let me tell you, this game is no joke. The workouts are legit, and they can also be customized depending on how in shape you already are(or aren't in my case).  The interactive aspect helps push you and keep you motivated, the way it reacts to what you are actually doing. It isn't simply a workout video playing in the background where you can stop and cheat whenever you feel like it.  If you aren't following the instructor or doing the movements right, he or she, will let you know and they will wait on you or ask if you need to be re-shown how to do it properly.  Of course like any motion control game, I am sure you can find ways to cheat the actual workouts on certain ones, but what would be the point really?  Why even get the game if you are going to do that?

The one thing I am going to need to look into and recommend anyone else with the same predicament is to invest in a better floor mat.  I happen to have hardwood floor in my living room and the mat, while providing a tiny bit of relief, is really not adequate for some of the ground-based exercises.  Especially when you need to be on your knees.  I often finding myself getting pillows for extra comfort.(and no I wasn't cheating the exercise, just making it bearable, lol )

Once your scheduled workout is done, you have the option to continue to workout on your own, making a custom workout. I did those both days so far.  I added the boxing workout, where you are basically throwing punches.  I think I might add the wrist weights next time I do this to add some intensity.  So far I have done everything at "easy" level, but for someone in my situation, it wasn't easy at all.  Like I said I am in the nine week program so from time to time I will update on my progress...(maybe).

Whether are you looking for a little exercise or want the full workout, this game looks like it is going to get the job done.  I am hoping to see some DLC released in the near future with even more different types of workout. I would really love to see more of the boxing/sparring type exercises expanded because to me that kind of workout is fun on top of being good for me. And anytime you can get me to say "workout" & "fun" in the same sentence, you have a winner on your hands!

(I totally forgot to snap a post-workout pic of me looking exhausted but fulfilled, maybe next time, haha)

No comments:

Stuff I geek out about!

My photo
Sacramento, California, United States
If I enjoy something, it could end up being talked about in this blog!