Thursday, September 30, 2010

You? Chopped Liver? That'd be an improvement....

Whoever came up with the phrase "..and what am I, chopped liver?" either never tasted chopped liver, or was struggling to get the phrase out right. It is pretty delicious. Of course, it is one of those dishes that you either love or makes you nauseous. I wouldn't say I "grew up on" chicken livers, but my mom did make them from time to time. I was always "meh" about them. The taste was rather strong, so if I was in the mood for it, it was tasty, but if not, I loathed the smell trickling all the to the back of the house in my bedroom. The solution to all of this of course was my discovery of chopped liver. Because chopped liver is mixed and blended with other ingredients, it takes away the over-bearing flavor. Served with red onion & tomato on a couple slices of Rye bread is where it's at.....Yum...I recently was in Hollywood and made a stop at Canter's deli, and I had probably the best chopped liver sandwich I have ever eaten.......check this shit out, you!

What kind of blogger would I be unless I left you with a recipe to make your own collection of this brown gold known as chopped liver? Here ya go!

Chopped Liver!

Ingredients

  • 2 pounds chicken livers
  • 1 cup rendered chicken fat
  • 2 cups medium-diced yellow onion (2 onions)
  • 1/3 cup Madeira wine
  • 4 extra-large eggs, hard-cooked, peeled, and chunked
  • 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
  • 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • Pinch cayenne pepper

Directions

Drain the livers and saute them in 2 batches in 2 tablespoons of the chicken fat over medium-high heat, turning once, for about 5 minutes, or until just barely pink inside. Don't overcook the livers or they will be dry. Transfer them to a large bowl.

In the same pan, saute the onions in 3 tablespoons of the chicken fat over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes, or until browned. Add the Madeira and deglaze the pan, scraping the sides, for about 15 seconds. Pour into the bowl with the livers.

Add the eggs, parsley, thyme, salt, black pepper, cayenne, and the remaining chicken fat to the bowl. Toss quickly to combine. Transfer half the mixture to the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Pulse 6 to 8 times, until coarsely chopped. Repeat with the remaining mixture. Season, to taste, and chill.

(courtesy of foodnetwork.com)

No comments:

Stuff I geek out about!

My photo
Sacramento, California, United States
If I enjoy something, it could end up being talked about in this blog!