Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Is there a reason to buy or own movies anymore?

I was browsing my amazon wish list looking to see which items had dropped in price. My very next move was to check my netflix que. During this process I realized that just about every item on my wish list was available on netflix instant, and those that weren't, were still available to get in the mail in disc form.

It kind of made me wonder, why do we still need to buy and/or own movies anymore?
Is there still something special in physically owning a movie, even though realistically my friend or neighbor who doesn't own it, still pretty much has the same access to the movie that I do, without spending the $19.99 or so to buy it?

Is there still an inherent value to being able to stare at your dvd shelf and say "wow I own that movie, look at that beautiful thing sitting there, glowing, I can throw it on any time I want" Back in the real world, the likelihood of you watching that particular movie more than once or twice over the next year is very rare. In fact I can say for a fact I have movies on my shelf that "I love" and seemingly am happy I own, but at the same time have watched barely once since I bought it.

For the few movies you do like to watch over and over....and over. I am willing to be that premium cable or netflix or similar services(not to mention the illegal methods) can provide you with all the access you want to them. Honestly, if I scanned my dvd shelves and had to throwaway every single movie I haven't watched more than twice since buying them, I would probably have maybe 5-10 left. This is out of a collection of approximately 200 dvds/blu rays.

Another issue with owning movies, is that as I get older, I find myself with less and less time to actually sit down to watch a movie any longer than 90 minutes, let alone a movie I have seen already. I am a master at catching movies I have already seen on HBO or Showtime, and watching 15 minute pieces of them at a time for nostalgia sake. If you know me, then yeah you can vouch for that statement. That is mostly how my movie-watching is done on the couch. You'd think being out of work, and only working part time for my mom, that I would have tones of free time to sit around watching movies, but amazingly my time seems to get burned up on other things.

I just want to wrap up by saying, that if the music industry is the model of the future, then I would say we are probably five years(or less) from digital media dominating the at-home movie market as well. How rare is it now for people to actually go out and by physical CDs? I can't really name anyone I know off-hand that buys them. They certainly still buy music, but it is being downloaded, in digital form. Movies are a little bit trickier, because the files are much bigger, especially in HD format, however the future is going to bring us internet speeds that make today's broadband look turtle-slow, so I would say in time, that will no longer be an issue either.

Are we less than one generation away from DVD shelves being a thing of the past?

No comments:

Blog Archive

Stuff I geek out about!

My photo
Sacramento, California, United States
If I enjoy something, it could end up being talked about in this blog!